I know all of you looked at the Pupusas and thought they looked interesting, but you weren’t ready to take that one on. I know. But, I gotta tell you, they are so utterly satisfying, and so unbelievably tasty with this side of curtido – pickled cabbage. You don’t know what you’re missing! Jeff and I had Pupusas for breakfast both Saturday and Sunday. Not only did we load them up with the curtido, but also some cotija (Mexican dry cheese a little like parmesan) and a little bit of crema agria (Mexican sour cream) – amazing!
I made the curtido on Thursday last week, and it just keeps getting better in the fridge. Next time I plan to serve Pupusas, I’ll make sure the curtido is at least a few days old. It will keep in the fridge for about a month!
1 head cabbage thinly sliced
2 red onions thinly sliced
2 jalapenos minced
5 cups boiling water
apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. sugar
1) Slice the cabbage and onions and place is large bowl or big flat baking dish
2) Mince jalapenos and mix in with cabbage and onions
3) Boil water – when it comes to a boil, pour it over the cabbage mixture. Mix the water into the cabbage for a minute, then dump the water off
4) Add enough vinegar to almost cover the cabbage
5) Sprinkle salt, sugar and oregano over cabbage and mix
6) Place cabbage in a glass container. Push the cabbage down so that it is mostly covered in vinegar. Place a plate on top with a weight to keep the cabbage pushed down. Refrigerate.