I don’t know about you, but I love apples with peanut butter. The other day, Max and I were enjoying some fresh-from-the-tree Minnesota Honeycrisps with creamy organic peanut butter, and I started to fantasize about an apple pie. Then I started to dream about an apple pie with peanut butter. Would it be possible? Well, the fantasy survived, but the time to make it never came to fruition. Then last night at about 8:30, I decided to build my creation, but as a cake instead. Time didn’t allow for pie crust.
A while back I made some zucchini bread and after a day, the egg flavor started to come through. I know lots of people adore eggs, but that’s one food item I abhor. I usually don’t mind them hiding in pancakes or other sweet treats, but last night I didn’t want to take my chances, so I created this recipe dairy free. Does that mean I am turning into a vegan?
The cake is dense and moist sprinkled with tart little niblets of apple and topped with a sweet agave caramel. It has all the apple pie spices, but rich overtones of peanut butter. The peanut butter provides protein as well as the garbanzo bean flour I added, and I used agave nectar to cut down on the glycemic index. It got three thumbs up from this household.
Flipped PB and Apple Cake Recipe
- Canola oil to coat spring form pan
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- Sprinkle of cinnamon to coat pan
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup garbanzo bean flour, sifted
- 1 Tbs. baking powder, sifted
- 1 tsp. salt, sifted
- 1 Tbs. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 4 apples, one thinly sliced, the other three diced
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 3/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 cup soymilk
- 3 tsp. vanilla
1) Preheat oven 350 degrees
2) Prepare a non-stick spring form pan. (I did not use parchment paper, but it would probably be a good idea as a few of the apples stuck.) First coat the pan generously with canola oil then sprinkle with cinnamon. Next place sliced apples in a decorative pattern on the bottom of the pan and top with 1/4 cup of agave nectar.
3) Sift and mix all dry ingredients.
4) Mix wet ingredients.
5) Combine the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients and the apples. Pour into pan and bake for 60 minutes.